How to Use Your Blog as a Branding Asset
Let me guess…
You’re one of three people:
- You’ve recently started a new small business and you’re ready to start building a personal brand and get your message out there to the masses.
- You’ve been running your business for a while, but you are not sure how to establish a true “brand” for your business online.
- You have a traditional brick and mortar business but haven’t quite figured out how to use the internet to increase awareness about your brand.
Sooo, please know that you are not alone in this one.
My Recent Networking Event + Speaking Engagement
On last week, I had the privilege of speaking to a small group of lady bosses that were new to blogging and social media.
They were interested in learning more about blogging for business and how to use social media networks to get more brand exposure.
After I wrapped up my presentation, I could tell that the group was very excited to implement some of the strategies that I covered.
One of the attendees came over to talk to me about ways that she can use her blog for branding and more online exposure.
Some of the challenges she is facing with using her blog for business are:
- She setup her blog but is not sure how to use it to get the message out about her business
- She wants to build a brand that stands out from everyone else in her niche
- She is not sure how to get in front of the right people that will benefit from what she has to offer
- She is not sure how to use her blog as a true branding asset and powerhouse for her business
Using Your Blog for Building Your Personal Brand and a Marketing Asset
We are in a new era of marketing where online platforms like blogs are being used heavily as branding and promotional assets.
I cannot even begin to tell you just how powerful of a platform blogging is…if you use it correctly for branding and growth.
Let’s think about it this way:
Can you afford to hire an in-house marketing or branding team to help you get your brand out there to the marketplace?
Do you have 65,000 to pay a branding or marketing consultant a year?
My guess is that you probably do can not…
Guys, this is seriously one of the reasons that you should invest in building a blog or a (or website) for your brand.
Ever Heard of Marie Forleo?
Take for instance Marie Forleo.
Marie has a massive audience that she attracts to her brand on a regular basis.
She has more than 350,000 Facebook followers, 150k Twitter followers and 350,000 Youtube subscribers. Marie is definitely big timing it out there in the online world.
My question to you is this:
What do you think she’s using as one of her main branding assets to drive traffic back to her business fuel sales for her business?
If you guessed her blog – MarieForleo.com – you are absolutely right!
Sure, building a brand from your blog takes work and it takes time.
But what’s the alternative?
Spending thousands of dollars on traditional magazine ads that may or may not work?
Now, please don’t get me wrong. Traditional marketing still works very well, but again if you don’t have a lot of money to spend then it can get pretty pricey.
How I’ve Used My Blog as a Branding Asset
When I launched YourChicGeek in January of this year I was dead set on three things:
1. Making sure that I was completely focused on getting my brand in front of the right people – consistently. This meant writing targeted content then promoting that meets the needs of the audience I want to attract to my brand.
2. Using the power of social media to engage and network with peers in my industry. I am not talking about just pumping out curated content — anyone can do that. But really making an effort to just get out there to connect with new fans, followers and peeps running small businesses.
3. Connecting intentionally. Shout out to my friend Shannon of Inkpensncoffeecups.com for this one. This simply means that I made sure that I didn’t just fan and follow any and everybody there is on social media.
I will admit:
Before I really understood how to use social media networks the right way, I was allllll about the numbers. I thought to myself, oh heyyy if I get 10,000 Twitter followers sales will come pouring in.
This is so far from the truth.
I realize now that it’s better to have 4,000 people that I can deliver a message that speaks only exactly to their needs…than thousands of people who could care less about what I do and who I do it for.
Here Is What Has Happened as a Result of Consistent Branding + Using My Blog as a Springboard
Now mind you, I am not sharing any of these examples to brag or boast (I am not even that type of person). I want to share with you just how powerful blogging can be from a branding perspective.
Since January of this year (of launching this blog) here are two awesome opportunities that have come my way:
- Landing a contributing spot to write for a MAJORRRR blog that gets more than 2 million people a month! Wowza righttt????
- An invitation to speak on a popular podcast that serves more than 40,000 peeps
I’m still pinching myself that these things have happened in such a short time and show you that contrary to what I have been reading a lot of lately where folks are saying that “Blogging is Dead”.
A blog can if used the right way can be a very powerful branding + marketing asset for your brand. Please don’t let these types of articles discourage you from blogging.
Tips for Using Your Blog For Building Your Personal Brand + a Major Branding Asset
Allow me to present to you 3 simple ways to use your blog for building your personal brand:
Tip #1: Use your blog to create and share content tailored to meet the specific needs of your dream clients and customers
You’ve got to think of it this way:
When visitors come to your site, they want to know — what’s in it for them?
- Why should they stay and browse around?
- Why should they read your content?
- Why should they contact you about your products and services
Great content will encourage them to do so.
I go through all of the necessary steps that you need to take to find topics + create share worthy content your audience craves in Digital Domination.
Tip #2: Use your blog to share your voice with the world! This is one of the main reasons that I believe that blogging is really powerful for branding.
It’s through your blog that your peeps will get a more personable connection to you — beyond the business realm of things. This is exactly what folks want. They want someone that they can connect with in an authentic and meaningful way. Not someone that runs a faceless brand.
Tip #3: Use your blog to position yourself as a someone who knows what they are talking about — aka subject matter expert.
Yea…soooo the whole subject matter expert word used to freak me out a little.
But now I understand why it’s important to present yourself as someone that provides useful and helpful content to your audience.
There are millions of blogs out there on the net, but you are who you are and I believe that everyone has a different perspective to bring to the table.
Use your blog as a platform to show your audience how you can make their lives better. Answer their questions, engage with them when they leave comments, be their superhero >>> seriously!
Are You Using your Blog as a Powerful Branding Asset for your Business?
Blogging doesn’t have to be all gloom and doom. If you liked this article blog post you’ll LOVE this new training on how to build your own WordPress blog with confidence! It’s called Fire Up Your Framework and you can learn more about it here.
Have an Opinion You Would Like to Share?
I would love to hear from you? Are you building an awesome brand for your business with your blog? Or, I would love to hear what platforms you are using to brand your business. Cheers!