What to Send to New Email Subscribers After They Opt-In to Your List
What to send…how to send it… Decisions…decisions.
The other day I received a question from one of my peeps in my facebook group asking:
“How to send a file to new subscribers after they opt-in to my email list”.
After seeing this question, I decided to get back to the basics today by putting together this blog post.
Truthfully, there are a thousand and one different things that you could send new subscribers.
For this post, I am going to cover:
- The 2 main types of freebies that you can send to your email subscribers
- What tools you will need to send your freebies to them
- A video + tech tutorial showing you how to get things setup
But Before You Can Send Freebies to your Subscribers, You Need to Create an Email List
There are a gazillion different reasons that I could list out why you need to start an email list. But, for the sake of brevity, here are the top 3 reasons that come to mind:
Reason #1: You have complete control over your email list
Changes with Google’s algorithm or Facebook …or any social media platform will not affect your email list.
I can’t tell you how disturbing it is for me to hear people say things like
“Well, I only use Facebook or some other social media platform as the homebase for my business”.
Peep’s this is a HUGE mistake and something that I would never recommend.
Well because you should never build your house on rented land. Social media platforms have their place, but you don’t own them.
Folks like Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook’s founder) and Jack Dorsey (Twitter’s founders do).
But, with your email list, it’s all yours!
Reason #2: Your email list helps you take the relationship with people interested in your brand offline
Email gives you a direct line of communication with your peeps that want to learn more about you.
Communicating with your subscribers on a regular basis will give them the opportunity to get to know you on a more personable level.
Reason #3: An email list gives you a path for your to present the products and services that you offer to your subbies
As you engage with your email subbies, they will get to know, like and trust you better. When this happens as you start to present products and services that help them… they may eventually convert to buyers.
The one thing that I will say is to make sure that you provide value to your people and don’t just sell with every email that you send.
Give TONS of value first before asking for the sale. Comprende~?
Two Main Types of Freebies That you Can Send to Your New Email Subscribers
Now for the good stuff! Here are the two types of freebies that you can send to your email subscribers. I have also added suggested time frames it may take you to create them. I cover all this wayyyy more in depth in the Lead Ninja workshop.
Freebie #1: A Downloadable PDF (30-45 Minutes)
This is perhaps the easiest type of freebie aka (lead magnet) that you can create and send to your new email subscribers.
This is a one time email that will get sent to your new subscribers.
Free downloads take the shortest time to create, especially when you are using a tool like Canva.
Some easy-to-create downloads that you can make include:
As an example, I am giving away a cheat sheet and list of 10 Tools You Can Use to Grow Your Online Presence Every Week.
It prolly took me every bit of 30 minutes to put this together. If you are creating a freebie for the first time, I would recommend creating this one.
Freebie #2: An Email Series aka (Autoresponder) (45 Minutes – 1 Hour)
An email series is a sequence of pre-written emails that you can send to your new subbies.
This is better known in the email marketing world as an Autoresponder.
Autoresponders take a little more work to put together, but they are popular freebies to give away to new email subscribers.
My Ready, Set Startup Course is an eCourse that I put together for the YourChicGeek brand a while back. You can check out the landing page for it here.
To create your autoresponder, you will need to:
- Figure out what type of autoresponder you want to create (eCourse, Mini-Course, Email series to educate then sell a product)
- The length of the email series (3 Days, 5 Days, 7 Days)
- The content that you will create for your email
- The goal of the email series (To educate, to introduce your business, to sell a product or service)
3 Types of Popular Email Series that you Can Create and Send to Your Subbies
Three popular types of autoresponder that I have come across that you can create and send are:
Here is how a 5-day ecourse autoresponder would work:
- Email 1 (Sent Immediately) – Introduction to the eCourse
- Email 2 (Sent 1 Day after email 1) – Lesson 1 – [Title of Lesson 1]
- Email 3 (Sent 1 Day after email 2) – Lesson 2 – [Title of Lesson 2]
- Email 4: (Sent 1 Day after email 3) – Lesson 3 – [Title of Lesson 3]
- Email 5: (Sent 1 Day after email 4) – Lesson 4 – [Title of Lesson 4]
- Email 6: (Sent 1 Day after email 5) – The Wrap Up and Recap
How to Send a File to New Subscribers: The Tools You Will Need
There are few tools and resources that you will need to send freebies to your email subscribers:
1. An opt-in form of some sort or a landing page for peeps to subscribe to your email list. This is pretty obvious right…you will definitely need to add some sort of entry path for folks to sign up for your email list. You can do this by creating a landing page tied to your email sign up form, a regular opt-in form, or adding some sort of pop-up subscription boxes to your site.
2. A place to house your free download. I use Google Drive to house all my freebies. Dropbox will work too!
3. An email marketing service with an autoresponder. Yes, automation features in autoresponders are a paid feature of most email marketing services. But believe me when I tell you, it is absolutelyyy worth it and a huge time saver to automate your responses to new subscribers. I am currently using Active Campaign to send emails to my new subbies. AWeber is an excellent service to use as well.
Watch this Video + Tech Tutorial to Learn How to Get er Done!
So here’s the deal, I am a visual learner and even though I could write this part out, I believe that a video would serve you better. Check it out below and lemme know what you think.
In this video tutorial, I am using Active Campaign to set things up! In my Lead Ninja workshop, I cover how to get everything setup from creating your lead magnet to creating blog and social media visitors to subscribers (like a ninja).
Psssstttt: >> Check it out here if you’re interested.
Oh and I almost forgot, don’t forget to grab the 3 free swipe files that you can use for your autoresponder series.
Now, onto the video! (For better resolution, please make sure your Youtube settings are set for 1020 HD)